Friday, October 11, 2013

Working Class

All of my people are working today.

This is a thing that is sobering and wonderful, simultaneously

Its sobering because sooner than I'd like, I'll have this big old monstrosity of a house to myself all day, everyday. While I am not ready for that season of life, I welcome it, too. I want my kids to grow up happy and healthy, find the people they want to spend their lives with, find meaningful work and passions to pursue. I want each one of them to become all they are meant to be!

I am so proud of their work ethic and their hearts. It has been such a gift for each of them to work in the community we live in. They've grown mentally and emotionally, their character has been refined, they've made some amazing contacts, and they contribute to society and their own futures by working like their jobs are their livelihoods. Its a good thing to be known as a hard worker.

Today it has me pondering what I'll do when the time comes. I can't spend countless hours here cleaning and hanging out with the dogs.

I know I will garden like I mean it during that transition.

I am afraid I'm too crabby, critical, scary and set in my ways to go back into the workforce. I've been my own boss and set my own schedule for so long that I can't imagine someone else doing that for me.

Besides, I'm not really good with people....I tend to run with scissors and eat paste, as well, so no one is gonna ask me to sit at their table.

Seriously, though. I am going to have to figure out a plan. I've had a few over the years. I intended to open a coffee shop and pastry shop....feels a little hypocritical now. Once your brain counts carbs for a living ( literal pun), you have a hard time imagining spending the wee hours of the morning baking decadent treats that you equate to x units of insulin rather than extolling the flakiness of the pastry.

I planned on opening a farmer's market in the downtown area. That is already underway. Ironically, at the very site I envisioned and shared with the Chamber of Commerce and development authority. Cough. Cough.

I thought about making soaps and body butters and all kinds of wonderfully fragranced things full of shea butter. But a whole lot of people do that and do it well. And if my Mary Kay days do nothing but serve to remind me of this,I am not good at selling things to people. I tend to give them financial counselling instead.

I could use my chemistry degree and...Nope. Not gonna happen.

I don't even know what I would do if I could choose absolutely anything. Something that doesn't involve teaching, cleaning messes, or dealing with complaints. I need to be the director of an herb farm on a southern Atlantic island. Or perhaps I could find a way to get paid to surf Pinterest.....

No comments:

Post a Comment